Cooks River Bridge, Marrickville; - Gladesville
Bridge; - Picton Viaduct; - Newtown
Cooks River Bridge,
Picton was first explored by
Europeans in 1798 and remained beyond the limits of legal settlement until 1821. Following the discovery of good
land in the interior and the settlement of Bong Bong and the Goulburn areas, Governor
Macquarie authorised the building of the new Great South Road between Sydney and the Southern
Highlands in 1819.
This opened up the Picton area to settlers, including Henry Colden Antill, who established a 2,000-acre
Picton developed when a new line of the Great South Road was cut over the Razorback Range from Camden, and
especially after the railway arrived in 1863.
King street, Newtown's main
street, reputedly follows an ancient Aboriginal track that branched out from the main western track,
now beneath Broadway and Parramatta Road, and which continued all the way to the coastal plains
around Botany Bay.