Redfern - Central
The suburb is named after surgeon William Redfern, who was granted 100 acres of land in this area in
1817 by Lachlan Macquarie. He built a country house on his property surrounded by flower and kitchen
were Captain Cleveland, an officer of the 73rd regiment, who built Cleveland House and John Baptist, who ran a
nursery and seed business.
railway terminus was built in Cleveland Paddocks and extended from Cleveland Street to Devonshire Street and
west to Chippendale. The station's name was chosen to honour William Redfern. At that time, the present Redfern
station was known as Eveleigh. When Central station was built further north on the site of the Devonshire Street
cemetery, Eveleigh station became Redfern and Eveleigh was retained for the name of the railway workshops, south
of the station. The remains of Cleveland Paddocks became Prince Alfred Park.
Central Railway Station