The major streets in
and around Sydney
Sydney is not noted
for its good roads. Most are chocked with cars and busses, but was not always so. Some of our roads
have a history as long as the colony itself.
Included in our
roads are the first bridge built in Australia as well as the first toll gate
- Bridge Street
Bridge Street, at the northern end of the city, owes its name to the bridge that was erected to cross the Tank Stream.
This was the first bridge erected by the British settlers in Australia. The Tank Stream, the only source of natural water, was the reason that the first settlers chose Sydney Cove for their settlement and not one of the other coves along the harbour.
- Bent Street
Bent Street in Sydney, Bent's Basin and Ellis Bent Road, Greendale near the Warragamba Dam are named after Ellis Bent, deputy judge advocate of NSW
- George Street
It is possible that George Street was the first street in Australia. Until 1810 George Street was generally referred to as High Street in the English custom. George Street was named for King George III of the United Kingdom by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1810.
- Canterbury Road
Lewisham was named in 1834 after the estate of Joshua Frey Josephson, businessman and judge and also owner of Enmore House. He named it after the London Borough of Lewisham, which means Leofsa's village or manor.
- Constitution Road in Meadowbank
The territory from Sydney Cove to Parramatta, on the northern side of the Parramatta River, was thought to be that of the Wallumedegal, and had the aboriginal name Wallumetta, the territory of the Wallumede people.
- College Street
College Street was named after Sydney Grammar School that was located in the street.
- King Street
King Street was named after Governor King, the third Governor of NSW. It forms the northern border of 'modern' Pitt Street Mall.
- Martin Place
Martin Place was officially opened and named in honour of New South Wales premier and Chief Justice James Martin. The General Post Office occupied the entire southern frontage of the street.
- Market Street
- Macquarie Street
- Oxford Street
The first cottages were built around the 1840s Victoria Barracks Army base. Oxford Street was the route of the Bondi tram.
- Pitt Street
Pitt Street is a major street in central Sydney. The street runs through the entire city centre from Circular Quay in the north to Waterloo, although today's street is in two disjointed sections after a substantial stretch of it was removed to make way for Sydney's Central railway station
- Queens Square
Kings Cross was previously known as Queens Cross. Kings Cross Sydney was renamed in 1905 to differentiate it from Queens Square in the city.
- Ridge Street, North Sydney
- Sydney Road
Manly was visited and named by Captain Arthur Phillip some time between 21st and 23rd January, 1788. Captain Arthur Phillip was impressed with the confident and manly behaviour of the Aboriginal people of the Cannalgal and Kayimai clans who waded out to his boat in North Harbour when he was exploring Port Jackson in January 1788.
Sydney Road is the road that the early settlers took after crossing the harbour higher up on the peninsula
- William Street
William Street runs from Kings Cross to Hyde Park where it turns into Park Street. The street forms the border between the two suburbs of Woolloomooloo and Darlinghurst. Today the newly completed Cross City Tunnel follows much of the route of William Street. It was constructed in an attempt to ease traffic congestion in the CBD.
- York Street
York Street runs south from Druitt Street and ends at the Western Distributor Freeway. Two lines of the Wynyard railway station run south under the modern street from Wynyard to the Sydney Town Hall.