In the early 1800s swimming at Sydney's beaches was a controversial pastime. Convicts were forbidden from bathing in Sydney Harbour because of "the dangers of sharks and stingrays, and for reasons of decorum". By the 1830's sea bathing was a popular activity despite being officially banned between 9.00am and 8.00pm. During the 1900s these restrictive attitudes began to relax and the beach became associated with health, leisure and democracy - a playground everyone could enjoy equally.
Neither friend nor foe.
Lavender Bay was named after the Bosun, George Lavender, from the prison hulk "Phoenix"
Mosman is named after Archibald Mosman and his twin brother George, who moved onto land grant in the area in 1831
Click any icon to visit that bay.
Because of its well heeled residents Double Bay earned the monicker 'Double Bay, double pay'
Darling Point was named in recognition of Elizabeth Darling, the wife of New South Wales Governor Ralph Darling.
Potts Point is named for Joseph Hyde Potts, who was employed by the Bank of New South Wales.
Potts Point & Elizabeth Bay
Rose Bay was named after The Right Honourable George Rose, joint Secretary to the British Treasury
In the early settlement years the bay was used by convicts to cut the 'rushes' used as roofing material in the colony.
Watsons Bay was named after Robert Watson, quartermaster of the first fleet vessel, the HMAS Sirius.
Vaucluse House, from which the area derived its name, was built by ex convict, Sir Henry Browne Hayes.
Woolloomooloo is derived from the name of the first homestead in area, Wolloomooloo House, built by landowner John Palmer.