Postcards to my grandmother
Home; NSWVictoriaWASAQLDSouth AfricaUK
Manly Beach
In the early 1800s swimming at Sydney's beaches was a controversial pastime. Convicts were forbidden from bathing in Sydney Harbour because of "the dangers of sharks and stingrays, and for reasons of decorum". By the 1830's sea bathing was a popular activity despite being officially banned between 9.00am and 8.00pm. During the 1900s these restrictive attitudes began to relax and the beach became associated with health, leisure and democracy - a playground everyone could enjoy equally.
Bondi Beach
Special Beaches
              #98 - Manly Beach    
              #107- Surf Bathing - Manly Beach    
              #20- Manly - North Harbour   
              #261- Surf Bathing at Manly   
              #14- Manly Beach   
During the early settlement days in Australia some of the British soldiers apparently found the weather and the white sandy beaches just too tempting, and often went swimming in the surf, in the nude! In 1833, to preserve decency in this newly found colony, the Governor of the day banned sea bathing completely during daylight hours.   Of course bathing was a complete cover up in those days, with some of the ladies' costumes containing up to ten metres of material! Also, bathing was segregated with separate hours or different parts of the beach for men and women. Once again civil disobedience won out and mixed bathing eventually became the norm.   In 1902, William Gocher advertised that he would swim at Manly in Sydney in protest against the law. He was not arrested. Similar protests occurred at other beaches but police were reluctant to arrest the bathers as long as they were decently clothed.  Improved public transport made beaches more accessible while reduced working hours meant people had more leisure time. Anyone with the fare could spend the day at Bondi, or Manly. A day at the beach became a popular activity and Neck-to-knee suits made of cotton or wool became standard for both men and women who were brave enough to actually go into the water.  Many just stood and watched. Over the years, the entire process nude bathing on some of the more remote beaches had always been furtively taking place. Finally, on the 15th of February 1975, the South Australian Government, under the Premiership of Don Dunstan, declared nude bathing legal on Maslin Beach, making it the first legal ‘dress optional’ beach in Australia.  Manly was visited and named by Captain Arthur Phillip some time between 21st and 23rd January, 1788. Captain Arthur Phillip was impressed with the confident and manly behaviour of the Aboriginal people of the Cannalgal and Kayimai clans who waded out to his boat in North Harbour when he was exploring Port Jackson in January 1788. He gave the name Manly Cove to the place where they first met but its exact location is uncertain.
              #373- Surf Bathing at Manly   
              #409- Ocean Beach - Manly   
              #171- Surf Bathing at Manly   
              #456- Ocean Beach, Manly   
              #170- The Cliffs, Manly   
              #475- Manly   
              #360- Promenade to Fairy Bower,Manly   
              #264- Manly   
              #115- Manly   
              #313- Wharf, Manly   
Cabbage Tree Bay Around the corner from Manly Beach lies Cabbage Tree Bay, now an a aquatic reserve with a pathway that overlooks the water.
The first wharf at Manly was built in 1855 and was primarily used for passenger services. Eventually a second wharf at Manly was required, so the Brightside wharf was built in 1879 at the foot of Stuart St on the eastern side of Manly Cove. In 1886 the Colonial Government built a third wharf at Manly – the cargo wharf – adjacent to the passenger wharf. After trams were introduced to Manly, a spur line was laid on to the cargo wharf about 1905 so goods could be loaded or unloaded directly from boats to small, low-sided bogie trucks. With the opening of the Spit Bridge in 1924, the amount of cargo being shipped to the cargo wharf at Manly plummeted, so in 1926 the tram tracks were removed.
In the 1850’s Norfolk Pines were planted along the foreshore
Back to Beaches