Rushcutters - Originally named Blackburn Cove. In the early settlement years the bay was used by convicts to cut the 'rushes' used as roofing material in the colony.David Blackburn, after whom the cove was originally named, was the master of the Supply, one of the first fleet sailing ships. He gave this account of his participation in an advanced party, searching for the best place to harbour, in a letter sent to England from Sidney Cove, Port Jackson, on12 July 1788: Blackburn: “The next day [ie 21st January] the Governor, Capt Hunter, the Master of the Sirius & Myself went to Examine an opening about 12 miles North of Botany Bay, where Captain Cook supposed there was a Harbour to which he Gave the Name of Port Jackson – We found it Perhaps as fine a Harbour as Any in the World, with water for any Number of the Largest ships. Here we stayd two Days Examining the Different Little Bays or Coves with which the Harbour abound: One of which (About 5 Miles from the Entrance of the Harbour) the Governor fixed upon & to which he Gave the Name of Sidney Cove – We then Returnd to Botany Bay-“ In 1788, Rushcutters Bay became the focus of Aboriginal resistance to the First Fleet. 120 Years later, in 1908, Sydney Stadium, a major sporting and entertainment venue was built in Rushcutters Bay. This was the venue at which the Beatles played in there tour of 1964.