Bennelong Point. The point was originally a small tidal island, Bennelong Island, that largely consisted of rocks with a small beach on the western side.In the early 1790s, the Aborigine Bennelong— employed as a cultural interlocutor by the British—persuaded New South Wales Governor Arthur Phillip to build a brick hut for him on the point, giving it its name.Bennelong Point is now home to the Sydney Opera House
Sydney Harbour from Dawes Point
Dawes Point. The area was originally known by the Aboriginal names of Tar-ra and Tullagalla. The point was also the site of the first guns mounted in Sydney by Lieutenant William Dawes in 1788, and contained Sydney's first cemetery. The first known building to be constructed on the site of Dawes Point was an observatory constructed in early 1788 by Lieutenant Dawes.
Middle Harbour and Mosman Spit
THE FIRST SPIT BRIDGE was built in seven months from timber, 46 years after the residents of Manly first requested one and 37 years after the first plans were drawn up. Manly Council completed it in Decmeber1924 and a toll paid for the construction by Christmas 1929. Fifteen years after completion, the Spit Bridge was described as not only inadequate but also dangerous. As early as 1927, only three years after the first bridge was completed, it was noted that the amount of traffic using the bridge was higher than expected and the subsequent revenue from tolls providing a financial boon. Use of the bridge had risen by 60% over that of the punt for the year prior to the bridge opening, but with this improved access came problems of a different kind. It was noted at the time that: “While the bridge solved a traffic problem which existed prior to its construction, it has created a traffic problem of its own, because of the facility it provides for people desirous of travelling to Manly and the many beaches to the north”.
#59 - Middle Harbour
#116 - Middle Harbour from Dawes Point
#425 - Sydney Harbour from Dawes Point
#10 - Sydney Harbour showing Circular Quay
#253 - Harbour from Hotel Australia
Australia Hotel in Castlereagh Street, Sydney, was until its closure on 30 June 1971 and subsequent demolition, "the best-known hotel in Australia.”The foundation stone was laid by Sir Henry Parkes in 1889. The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper reported that “Sarah Bernhardt arrived in Sydney, bringing her 100 pieces of luggage.” Hers was the first guest’s name in the hotel register