When Colonial Governor Lachlan Macquarie arrived in New South Wales in 1810, he found the colony's main landing place disturbed by the produce, livestock and poultry of the daily waterfront market at Kings Wharf. He ordered the market be moved to a more convenient location in a paddock two kilometres inland and bounded on the east by George Street, on the west by newly-named York Street, and on the south by the colony's first cemetery.Historical records show this site - which would eventually house the Queen Victoria Building - was first leased by Governor Macquarie to Mr John Fleming. Later records show it was sold to Messrs John and Gregory Blaxland, who subsequently developed Sydney's first "large scale" dairy.1820 A two-story building is constructed on the site. The Druitt street end has offices to administer the market. The cross-shaped Greenway's Market House sells maize, wheat, green forage, vegetables, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigs, drapery and groceries. Eight years later Greenway's Market House is converted into Police Offices and a Magistrates Court, which all become the Central Police Court and The Government of the day issues a general order that the area be set aside as a market square.