The statue was officially unveiled by the Governor Sir Hercules Robinson, on Tuesday 25th February, 1879 at a cost of £4400. The Colony didn't have a lasting memory of its founder, Captain James Cook, so in 1869 the Australian Patriotic Association set about to right a wrong and erect a statue. They were hoping that the statue would be completed in time to correspond with a visit by Prince Albert, but they were wrong (ten years too wrong). The statue would take ten years to complete, due to a shortage of fund and just in time to mark the hundredth anniversary of Cook’s death in Hawaii. The Australian Patriotic Association formed a committee and on the 12th August, 1870, they gathered to discuss how they would raise the funds. The meeting soon turned from funding to rather more pressing matters, like whether they should erect an iron palisade fence around the statue or whether it should be cast in England or locally (despite the fact they had no possible means of casting it locally). The Colonial Secretary, Henry Parkes, at this stage intervened and organised English sculptor Thomas Woolner to send a quote (which was accepted, despite the exorbitant cost). On its completion, in 1878, the statue was briefly displayed opposite the Athenaeum Club in Waterloo Place, Pall Mall, before being shipped to Sydney. It was estimated that over 60,000 people turned out for the unveiling of the statue and 12,000 people joined the procession.
Governor Phillip Statue- Fifty-foot (15.24 m) high monument, created by Italian sculptor Achille Simonetti, honours Captain Arthur Phillip, the 1st Governor of NSW. Unveiled during Diamond Jubilee celebrations of Queen Victoria in 1897.